Monday 2 April 2012

Shadow Heir (Dark Swan #4) by Richelle Mead


Note: This was reviewed back in January and was originally posted on my goodreads account.

3.5 Stars
Finally was able to read this. MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!This book was a pretty enjoyable read however there were times where I just wanted to wring Eugenie's neck much like Volusion tried to in Thorn Queen. My standards for this book were pretty low because of my disappointment of Iron Crowned. Thankfully this was better than Iron Crowned and found myself unable to put the book down.
I thought there would be little action in this book considering Eugenie is pregnant and was happy that Mead was able to have her pregnancy over quick enough that it didn't consume the book but wasn't rushed and skimmed over. Eugenie's feelings and love for her children were well conveyed and seemed very realistic. Even though this wasn't a very important detail but I found the whole birthing scene interesting instead of being cliched and saying along the lines of "My water broke... and then I was in so much pain and push push push the baby came out."
Dorian surprised me by showing a side I had not seen of him before. I never really liked him in the other three books but here I grew fond of him and actually believed he did care for Eugenie and not just because of the prophecy.
Even though I foresaw some things a mile away, Mead was still able to shock me with some twists I didn't see coming that left me staring at the book not believing what I had just read. I also was happy to hear about Volusion's past since I always thought that he would have an important role to play in the series.
However Eugenie at times really irked me in her decisions espeacially at the end with her big rant about trust and honesty and then just goes back on her words and becomes a hypocrite which left me thinking she hadn't learnt anything at all

No comments:

Post a Comment