Wednesday 27 June 2012

Uglies (Uglies #1) by Scott Westerfeld Review



555455555 STARS

I loved this narrative so badly. Even when nothing was happening Westerfield was able to still keep me engaged in the story and I want a hoverboard god dammit!

Uglies is set in a futuristic world where everyone who is born is perceived as ugly and when they turn sixteen get an operation that turns them pretty. We follow the story of Tally Youngblood who is eagerly awaiting her sixteenth birthday so she can become pretty espeacially since her best friend is already one. Tally soon meets a fellow ugly named Shay and coincedently they are both born on the same day and become pretty together. Tally soon finds out that Shay is very reluctant to turn pretty and leaves a week before they are suppose to turn pretty. When the time comes for the operation Tally is informed that she is not allowed to become pretty unless she brings Shay back if she fails she will be ugly forever.

At first when reading this I really didn't like Tally mainly because she always goes on how much she is ugly and everybody is ugly which I guess is just a reflex of the people I remember in high school who would go on about how they are ugly or fat all the time. However I quickly began to empathise with her and really saw how brainwashed this whole society was and you know what I can actually see this happening to our society in the future. Tally became very open minded person and it was nice to see her try to deal with the load of information that has basically shattered everything she has believed. Tally also makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't get away with it. She knows she must face it and that it will eventually come out. I have to admit that she is very intelligent and it was just amazing how quickly she can think on her feet.

I really loved the Smoke and the people within it since it would make sense for there to be people questioning this and eventually someone would figure out what was going on.

David I was very iffy about particularly when it came to him and Tally but the way he explained his attraction to her then made me really love him and just seeing them interact made me smile. It was definitely heartbreaking with what happens at the end.

Shay I loved straight away and and enjoyed every scene with her. Her friendship with Tally I also love and may rival my feels for Tally and David. I don't I just love seeing really great friendships in books. Their friendship definitely gets complicated and strained which I hope is resolved in the future books.

The ending I definitely did not see coming and made me rush straight to the second book to find out how the hell this story is going to turn.

Only thing I can really criticise with this book is that looking over the whole arc of teh book not a lot really happens but like I said above the narrative was enjoyable so it wasn't as dull and boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment