Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Den of Shadows Quartet by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes Review



This is starting to remind me so much of the Night World series by L.J. Smith.

In the Forests of the Night: 3 Stars
Alternates between present and past events. Risika was very enjoyable to read from and a pretty good version of vampire lore. I loved reading about her past and really felt her pain and anger. Had a bittersweet ending which I felt was the perfect way for it to end. I also enjoyed reading every fighting scene she had.

Demon in My View: 1.5 Stars
I just couldn't like Jessica at all. She bitches constantly that she has no friends and she is ostracised from everyone but when a girl actually approaches her and tries to be friends with her she basically tells her to fuck off. She was also so horrible to her mother who was nothing but nice to her and tried to make her happy. The romance was just horrible, I could not understand why she liked him considering she knew everything he has done without remorse. I also couldn't understand how she could prefer being a vampire than side with witches. Only reason it didn't get a zero was because I liked Caryn and the rule that you will be a weaker vampire if you willingly turn and a stronger vampire if you unwillingly get turned.

Shattered Mirror: 2.5 Stars
In the first half I was absolutely loving the story and the characters and was racing through the story. However the second half was just bad, the characters had a rapid personality change and the ending to me just made no sense and I didn't understand how it ended like that. The author seems to want her readers to hate the witch hunters and favour the vampires but I prefer the hunters over the vampires so this ending really pissed me off. I also didn't like the romance in this one either, too cheesy for my taste.

Midnight Predator: 4 Stars
This was my favourite story of the four. Turquoise was such a complex character and it was so sad reading what had happened to her. She is definitely my favourite character as well from all the stories. I loved reading the fighting scenes and the whole idea of Midnight, it would make sense for the vampires to make a place like that. I absolutely loved the romance, mmm Jaguar is so yummy. I really felt the chemistry between the two of them that seemed to lack in the last two books. I was worried at one point that it was going to end much like Demon in My View and Shattered Mirror but thank god it didn't. We are left with an open ending and I wish I knew what happened to her after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment