Friday 8 June 2012

Glow (Sky Chasers #1) by Amy Kathleen Ryan Book Review




4444
4 Stars

I definitely enjoyed Glow much more than I expected to and so angry at myself for only reading it now when it had been on my shelf for all of this year.

Glow is set in the future where Earth is now not possible to live on and has two ships called Empyrean and The New Horizon that are halfway through it's journey to New Earth when the book begins. We meet straight away 15 year old Waverly Marshall and 16 year old Kieran Alden who are on the Empyrean and the oldest children born in space. They have been together for nearly a year and are in love. But very soon the Empyrean is attacked by it's sister ship: The New Horizon who kidnap all the girls including Waverly. Now both Waverly and Kieran must fight for their lives to be together again.

The novel is told from both Waverly and Kieran which I loved since we knew as the reader what was going on with the girls on The New Horizon as well as what is going on with the boys on the Empyrean.

What both characters go through really shocked me in a good way. They both definitely suffered from their ordeals and I am happy that Ryan explored that and didn't fluff over it and try and soften the blow. What happened to the girls was definitely a very big issue that has been on my mind recently which is probably what mde me love this book more.

I connected and liked Waverly's point of view much more since I did find Kieran annoying at times. Not because he is a bad character he just thought much differently than I did and made decisions that fristrated me. But other people will probably like him more than I did.

Nothing in this novel was black and white having "good" and "bad" people intermingled in both ships. The ordeal has a definite effect on Waverly and Kieran's relationship and has changed it forever, which is something that cannot be fixed easily and I will happily read the next book to find out.

Although I knew it is set in a futuristic world I found it hard to believe that these kids that are 16 and under know how to use this technology let alone figure out how to fix these technical issues by themselves with no adults.

Other than that I definitely recommend this book.

This was originally posted on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment