Wednesday 11 July 2012

Extras (Uglies #4) by Scott Westerfeld Book Review






3 STARS






Extras I have to say isn't as strong as it's predecessors.

Instead of being from the point of view of Tally Youngblood it is set 3 years after the 3rd book 'Specials' and is read from the point of view of Aya Fuse. We get a look at how the actions of Specials has affected other cities. In Aya's city which you find out through the book is located somewhere in Japan, have changed the economy by how popular and talked about you are and you have a number to your name saying how popular. Aya is obessed with being famous and in order to reach her goal Aya is a "kicker" which is basically an independant journalist who tries to get the biggest story since if her story is really good her rank goes up. But when trying to "kick" the Sly Girls Aya stumbles on more than she bargained for.

I really liked the premise and the idea of how their economy works and actually wouldn't suprise me if this turned out as a possible future for us. But I felt the story was way too slow and then the action bits were rushed and confusing. Some of the pages I had to back and read since I was so lost.

But I loved the characters and Aya was definitely great to read from. It was great seeing Tally again and seeing her through someone else's eyes.

Although I did enjoy this book I felt it wasn't as strong as Uglies, Pretties and Specials. But it is definitely worth checking out if you loved those three and want to see how Tally is.


This was orginally published on my Goodreads


No comments:

Post a Comment