Wednesday 11 July 2012

Incarnate (Newsoul #1) by Jodi Meadows Book Review

2.5 STARS

Incarnate is about Ana who is discovered from an infant to be a newsoul or a nosoul as her mother likes to call her. This means she is a soul that has never been reincarnated and in a society where reincarnation is a normal thing in society Ana is seen as dangerous and therefore is shunned by most people in Range including her mother. Mostly because a soul called Ciana has not reincarnated and everyone believes that Ana replaced her. Now eighten years old Ana sets out to find out how she was born and why while trying to be accepted by society also has love in the mix.

I really loved Ana and really felt her suffering at the hands of Li. I liked that because of the way she was treated has affected how she interacts with people and is drawn upon throughout the book. There is nothing more frustrating than having a character who was abused nearly all her life but she is a social butterfly and fits into society perfectly with no scars to show. So I was happy to see that this wasn't suddenly ignored.

I actually enjoyed the romance between Ana and Sam and thought it was well built and I actually could see why they liked each other and felt that way. And thank you for no love triangles! Touch wood.

This book I felt however lacked plotwise. It was explored mostly in the beginning and the end. In the middle we had Ana just educating herself, playing music, making a dress for a party and of course crushing on Sam. I was just sitting here reading this thinking where this was going as it seemed to veer off into a contemporary novel for awhile there. Also the deaths in these books I felt no emotion or heartbreak for I literally just felt nothing for the characters that were lost I was just meh.

I will probably read the next book but I wouldn't say I am going to be counting the days to release.


This was originally published on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment